Eco Soil Improving Mulch
Give beds, borders and shrubs extra insulation and drainage during the colder months with our Eco Soil Improving Mulch.
Eco Soil Improving Mulch is available in XL bulk bags approx. 750L for chosen day, nationwide delivery.
We’ve designed our bulk bags of peat-free coarse soil improver mulch to give plants and shrubs better water retention and drainage when they need it most. This coarse 30mm screened material breaks down slowly over autumn and winter to release nutrients for long-term feeding and provide insulation from the cold.
We take locally recycled Dorset garden matter and mature it for 9 weeks, closely monitoring the process to ensure sustainable, high-quality soil-improving compost. Give your garden an energy boost while it prepares for spring renewal.
For best results, spread over your beds to a depth of 5-10cm.
Why choose our soil improver mulch?
- Insulate your plants and provide drainage through cold and wet weather
- Improves soil structure and moisture retention
- An excellent source of nutrient-rich organic matter to help plants establish
- Easy to apply
- Little maintenance needed
- Also perfect for adding to soil when planting trees and shrubs
Soil Improver Mulch Specification
- Delivered in bulk bag - XL jumbo bag approx. 750 Litres / 0.73m3
- Input materials: Biodegradable green plant & tissue matter.
- Particle Size Distribution: >100% passing a 7.0mm screen >90% passing a 4.0mm screen >50% passing a 1.0mm screen.
- Bulk Density: 500 - 600 g/litre.
- Moisture Content: 35% m/m.
- Dry Matter: 65% m/m.
- Organic Matter: (as loss recognition) 25% of the dry matter.
- PH: 7.5 - 8.5.
- Electrical Conductivity: 400 μS/cm.
- Purity: Substantially free of physical contaminants, viable weed seeds and pathogens.
- Potentially Toxic Elements: within acceptable limits.
- Certification: PAS100 & the Compost Quality Protocol, in which this quality compost was produced in compliance with the Compliance Quality Protocol.
Not suitable for potting compost. Try our Eco Beds & Borders Compost instead.
Eco Soil Improving Mulch questions
Q. How does soil improving mulch help with garden drainage?
The coarser fractions will product pockets of space within soils, allowing for water to be stored and not sit on the surface. The organic matter in compost will also help with moisture retention, the coarser fractions will break down over time, providing plants with a long term food.
Q. Can I use soil improver mulch to insulate my plants over winter?
Yes! The coarser fraction will provide great insulation but is worth remembering that it is not as successful as other mulches in stopping weeds from sprouting through. However, it looks natural and breaks down to give your plants plenty of nutrients.
Q. How much soil improver mulch do I need?
To work out the volume of the area you are working with, you will need to use the formula length(m) x width(m) x depth(m). The answer will give you the cubic meterage of your chosen area. We’d recommend a depth of 5cm. Alternatively, use our free volume calculator.